The Directorate includes Corporate Services, and manages the department as a whole. The Deputy Minister and senior managers work together to lead the department in providing effective services.
The Corporate Services Division provides four (4) internal services:
- Financial administration
- Information technology
- Records management services for the GNWT
The Asset Management Division (Electrical/Mechanical Safety, Infrastructure Operations and Accomodation Services, Design and Technical Services) provides technical support to our regional staff and other departments, including:
- Estimating the cost of building construction and renovation
- Consulting in the planning of buildings so they meet program needs
- Reviewing consultant designs of buildings and works
- Partnering in implementing the Safe Drinking Water Initiative
- Managing leases and property
- Advising about procurement and contracting
- Carrying out technical evaluations of buildings and works
- Co-ordinating supplies of gravel for construction
- Advising on maintenance and operation of GNWT buildings
The Electrical Mechanical Safety Division enforces the Gas Protection Act, the Boiler and Pressure Vessels Act, and the Electrical Protection Act and regulations—as set out by legislative authorities and national standards. There are three Sections of this division:
Procurement Shared Services (PSS) acts as the GNWT's main procurement hub. PSS operates a centralized tender desk that receives most GNWT tenders and RFPs, with the goal of maximizing procurement efficiencies and best practices in a consistent and transparent way.
The Corporate Information Management Division is responsible for providing government-wide information management services, including administering the department’s information systems and internal records management program.
The Energy Division is responsible for energy policy and planning, design and support of renewable and alternative energy projects, and managing fuel supply to communities not served by the private sector.
The Technology Service Centre is responsible for:
- Operation of applications run on the GNWT mainframe computers
- Technical support for systems located in the Yellowknife data centre
- Wide area data communications network, connecting all NWT communities
- Some voice communications services for Yellowknife
Regional offices in Yellowknife (North Slave), Fort Smith, Hay River, Fort Simpson and Inuvik deliver direct services to departments and the public, including:
- Mail services
- Design and construction of projects
- Disposal of goods and buildings
- Maintenance of government buildings and works
- Records storage
Regional Finance and Administration handles supply services work, as well as local departmental support.